Friday, March 4, 2016

Tiny Houses

I am the proud owner of two tiny houses, but not on wheels as is the current rage.  It was never my intention to settle for anything but a grand Victorian tea house.  But I did.  And though at times I will jealously visit friends with immense houses with the most current bathrooms and kitchens, within a day I'm over it.  I settle back on my well worn couch, gazing out my affordable bay window filled with plants and sleeping rescue cats ...and I think, "Yes.  Not for everyone but my tiny house is OK and beautiful to me."  I see my mother in law house, 36 steps away, converted in to a studio for my visiting clients, and feel a sense of accomplishment.  My gardens, the squirrels running up and down the Elm tree, are the life style of a free spirited Bohemian.



My husband would rather live in a large house in the country.  I remind him that large houses need lots of money for roofs, heating, and repairs.  I  love gravel roads and wide open space, but not everyone in the country is conscientious or organic, and the thought of being surrounded in a big country home by multi industrial chemical sprayers in fields from every direction seems as earthy as drinking a bottle of turpentine.   Again, my tiny city house is just fine. 

When asked what style I love, country or contemporary, I say "interesting".  What ever the most current rage in designing is, within five years it will be obsolete.  Much like shopping for eye glasses and furniture, one realizes that everything in the shop is variations of the same thing.  Tiny houses do not have room for a lot.  What you have will be well used and lived on.  Sturdy, comfortable and multi purpose is the must for tiny houses. To live modestly is monk like, and for me, as a Prairie Mystic and intuitive, seems appropriate. http://thecallingoflight.com

No comments:

Post a Comment